Gongju Traditional Korean Village
Gongju Traditional Korean Village was built at 12 Tourist Complext Street (Woongjindong), Gongju City, Chungcheongnamdo. It was opened to catch the World Baekjae Exibition in September, 2010. It was built between Munyeong King’s Tomb and National Gongju Museum on a land of 31,310m2, where there are group accommodation (6 buildings with 37 rooms), individual accommodation (13 buildings with 23 rooms), additional facilities (4 auto campings, 9 outdoor kitchens, and 1 multi-purpose room), and shopping center.It is built with a traditional floor heating system. In addition to this environmentally friendly heating system, it was made of pine tree and Japanese cedar tree that are known as safe construction materials. This house is added with convenience of modern technology. This is the reason that it is known as a destination for vacation for everyone; family, a group of students, etc.You can also have traditional cultural experience of the old Baekjae Dynastry, while staying at traditional Korean village. A traditional Korean wedding ceremony (called ‘GaGaRye’, mostly held at aristocrat families) is reconstructed as a show for visitors/tourists, in accordance with Honrye-Holgi of ‘Garyegipram’ (organized by Dr. Youngbon Gu).There are a number of accommodations as well as tracking courses for tourists near Gongju Traditional Korean Village. Make unforgettable memories in Gongju Traditional Korean Village where the present meets with tradition.
Advantages of floor-heating system in Gongju Traditional Korean Village
- It emits far-infrared radiation, which helps you not to catch a cold.
- It makes bottom layer of air hot and upper layer of air cool. This can keep your body temperature steady but makes your head feel fresh.
- It circulates air in room and brings more fresh inside. This works as an automatic temperature/humidity controller, which can relieve residents’ stress.
- Far-infrared radiation can discharge sweats and other bodily waste out of system. This can help treatment for various diseases.
- It protects the back and corrects the posture.
Experience of Traditional Culture in Gongju Traditional Korean Vilalge(for a family or more, KRW5,000~15,000 per person)
- Program IntroductionStory telling about Baekjae Tea, Making a cookie with chestnut from Gongju, Learning the life and literature of women in Baekjae Dynasty, Making Baekjae Props, Binding books in Baekjae Style, Making traditional Korean paper, Experience of Baekjae’s Royal Family.Playing traditional folk plays –rolling a hoop, playing with a Jegi, playing a game of Yut, playing Tuho, Playing Gonu, Playing Ssangyut, etc.
Cultural Experience near Gongju Traditional Korean Village
- National Gongju Museum (http://gongju.museum.go.kr/)ational Gongju Museum consists of 3 permanent exhibit halls (Munyeong King’s Room, Woongjin Cultural Room and Outdoor Garden) and 1 special exhibit hall, where you can learn Gongju’s history and culture.
- It is open to public for free (however, there may a fee for temporary exhibition) - Operation Hours for weekdays : 9:00a.m~6:00p.m. Sat, Sun, Holiday : 9:00 a.m.~7:00 p.m. Every Saturday (April ~ October) : Opening at night (9:00 a.m. ~ 9:00 p.m.) - Closing Date : Every Monday, January 1st (however, during long weekend of New Year’s Day and Thanksgiving day,it is open on Monday)
- Munyeong King’s Tomb (http://www.gongju.go.kr/html/history/info/info_01.html)It is the tomb for King Munyeong (25thKing of Baekjae Dynasty) and Queen. There are about 4,600 artifactors (108 kinds) found from the royal tomb. Among those, 17 artifacts (12 kinds) were designated as the national treasure.
- Hours during Spring, Summer and Fall: 09:00~18:00 / In winter: 09:00~18:00 - Closing Date: Lunar New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day
- Gongsan Castle (http://www.gongju.go.kr/html/history/info/info_02.html)Gongsan Castle is where King Munju (AD 475) transferred the capital from Wirye Castle and stayed for the next 64 years. Itis a beautiful castle with valley-looking shape, constructed at an elevation of 110 meters with the total length of 2,660m.
- the Changing of the Guard for the gate of Woongjin Castle 14:00~19:00 on Saturday and Sunday from April to June and from September to October - Hours during Spring, Summer and Fall : 09:00~18:00 / In winter: 09:00~18:00 - Closing Date: Lunar New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day
Tracking Course in Gongju Traditional Korean Village
- Museum Track- Watching sunrise over Geum-River from the top of Jeongji-Mountain - Traditional Korean VillageㆍAlley of MuseumㆍCultural Heritage in Jeongji-Mountain (takes about 20~25 minutes)
- Street of Munyeong King’s Tomb- It is the place where you can feel the breath of glamorous culture in Baekjae Dynasty - Traditional Korean VillageㆍAlley of SeonwhadangㆍMunyeong King’s Tomb (takes about 25~30 minutes)
- Street of Gomanaru- Folk tale about a bear and a human, and a beautiful pine grove - Traditional Korean VillageㆍPine Tree Forest next to Geum-River (close to Bear Shrine) (takes about 25 minutes)
- Street of Gongsan Castle- The status of Woongjin Baejae Dynasty, that you can feel walking alongside of castle walls - Traditional Korean VillageㆍMunyeong King’s TombㆍGongsan Castle (takes about 40 ~ 60 minutes)